Welcome

Welcome to English III. This is our blog spot. Here we will share our feelings and ideas about the works we are studying. I encourage you to be honest, but I EXPECT you to be mature and respectful.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Puritan Pen...

Although most of the Puritans shunned the fanciful and lived simplistic lives of spiritual denial, the poetry of Anne Bradstreet and Edward Taylor reveals much creativity and use of figurative language.  Likewise, the diary of William Bradford contains figurative language.  Which of the pieces--"Upon the Burning of Our House," "To My Dear and Loving Husband," "Huswifery," or The History of Plymouth of Plantation--did you find to be the creatively written yet strong in theme?  Give a line or passage from the work that you found most vivid or expressive.   THERE IS A CATCH HERE; YOU CAN'T GIVE THE SAME LINE/PASSAGE AS THE PEOPLE WHO POST PRIOR TO YOUR POST.  (The deadline to post a response to this blog is midnight Thursday, September 13, 2012)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I found the "Huswifery" to be creative and strong in theme. He compares us to a spinning wheel, and God was the spinner. The line that I found most vivid was
"Then clothe therewith mine Understanding, Will, Affections, Judgement, Conscience, Memory,
My Words, and Actions, that their shine may fill
My ways with glory and thee glorify.
Then mine apparel shall display before ye
That I am Clothed in Holy robes for glory."
I find it the most vivid because it sums up what was said in previous stanzas. If we were the thread and God was the maker, he would make us how he sees fit.

Unknown said...

In my opinion, "To My Dear and Loving Husband" is the most creatively written yet strong in theme.
"I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that rivers cannot quench,"
This passage is the most vivid to me because it explains how much she loves and cares for her husband. She is saying she cares more about their love more than riches and that her love is so deep for him that it could not be quenched by a river.

Lealah Watson said...

I think that "Upon the Burning of Our House" has a creative and strong theme. "Yet by His gift is made thine own; There's wealth enough, I need no more, Farewell, my pelf, farewell my store. The world no longer let me love, my hope and treasure lies above." I chose that passage because it shows that she's okay with losing her stuff in the fire because she knows that she'll have whatever she wants in heaven.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I found the passage in The History of Plymouth of Plantation where Bradford writes about the actions and death of the sailor who "... died in a desperate manner, and so was himself the first that was thrown overboard." to be particularly vivid because of the way Bradford describes the "just hand of God upon him." Through this, Bradford is basically saying what goes around comes around.

C.A. 1st Block