Welcome

Welcome to English III. This is our blog spot. Here we will share our feelings and ideas about the works we are studying. I encourage you to be honest, but I EXPECT you to be mature and respectful.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Heart Speaks

"Each stroke of the pen echoes the beat of the poet's heart." We read three Puritan poems, all a message from their poet's heart. Which poem, "Upon the Burning of Our House," "To My Dear and Loving Husband," or "Huswifery," did you find most appealing? Why? (The deadline to respond to this post is midnight, Friday, August 26, 2011.)

3 comments:

kaileyemorton said...

km block2
"Upon the Burning of Our House" was my favorite poem. i loved figuring out what Anne Bradstreet was trying to say. I liked the message she was conveying. I believe that she is right when she says "my hopes and treasure lyes above" because Heaven truly is where we are all trying to get to. Getting to Heaven does not mean owning all the objects in the world. It means true devotion and salvation. I loved Anne Bradstreet's "Upon the Burning of Our House" because it touched me and gave me something to think about.

EJR2 said...

"Upon the Burning of Our House" was also my favorite. I love how her aspect on the situation changes during the poem. When she awakens she reacts like anyone would by mourning over her lost possesions and house. However by the end she relizes that "my hopes and treasures lyes above" and that she will see that house once again in heaven. "Upon the Burning of Our House" was certainly my favorite because possesions can always be replaced.

MaddieGable said...

My favorite poem was also "Upon the Burning of Our House". I feel like I can relate more to Bradstreet because she is a woman. I was really inspired by the poem when Anne declared that her worldly belongings were not as important as God, Heaven, and life. I think that to accept that in such an awful situation shows how strong minded she is. In summary, this poem appealed most to me because of Anne's ability to give up her things and focus on what is really important. That is something to admire.