Welcome

Welcome to English III. This is our blog spot. Here we will share our feelings and ideas about the works we are studying. I encourage you to be honest, but I EXPECT you to be mature and respectful.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Devil take me if I have made a farthing...

Recently, we read "The Devil and Tom Walker," a folk tale written by Washington Irving. In addition to teaching a lesson, a folk tale generally contains elements of humor and vivid imagery. What is something you found humorous in the selection? Explain. What scenes did Irving make especially vivid for you? How? (The deadline to post a response to this question is midnight Saturday, October 20, 2012.)

5 comments:

Sky D Copeland said...

I found humorous when Tom Walker was happy with the The Devil for killing her wife. I found the ending of the story the most vivid for me is when The Devil came for Walker and he fell back with his bible hidden under the mortage papers and then proceeding to him being in the white cap on the black horse riding to the morass.

Unknown said...

I found it humorous when Tom was more worried about his fortunes than his wife. He never really cared for his wife. This part proves it. I found the description of the forest the most vivid. The way it was described gave it the mood of evil. I could actually see the forest right in front of me.

Tiffany Bates said...

The most humorous part of the story for me was the ending when Tom inadvertently called the Devil to take him by saying, "the Devil take me if I have made but a farthing!" Irony plays big in this story, and it makes the story's morale bolder. Irving did excellent on the descriptive side of this story and it set the swampy mood for the story.

Unknown said...

The irony at the end of the book when the Devil actually came when Tom told him to was the most humorous part of the book to me. Irving's description of the Devil was the most vivid part to me though. He used so many strong words and details that I could mentally picture the Devil right in front of me.

Lealah Watson said...

The situational irony at the end where Tom said "the Devil take me as if I have made but a farthing!" was the most humorous part to me. Also, I found the way that Irving described the forest to be the most vivid because I could picture the evil it represented.